Louisiana Press Journal

Follow Us On:

First Presbyterian Church to receive new “amazing light show”

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 3:00 pm

By Kyle Boaz
lpjed@lcs.net

A church in Louisiana is currently undergoing a facelift.
The First Presbyterian Church is in the middle phases of having its stained glass windows restored by Jacksonville Stained Glass out of Illinois.
“We are looking forward to getting these windows back where they belong. This set of windows will provide an amazing light show,” Jacksonville Stained Glass owner Ron Weaver said.
The project began on Wednesday, March 7, with a target re-installation date set for late June.
“We still have a ways to go. The windows have been challenging. The original studio did a good job putting them together,” Weaver said.
“The designs are nice and well built.
Jacksonville Stained Glass will extract and fully restore 23 stained glass windows from the church that are over 100 years old and showing signs of age.
The windows range in size from 30”x30” to arch windows that measure 5’ high and 10’ wide, according to Weaver.
The windows were made in an “Early American” style.
They are composed of 80 percent opalescent glass with the remaining 20 percent being made up of cathedral glass, jewels, blobs and rondels, according to Weaver.
“Many of the rondels were broken and replacements were made by Kokomo Opalescent Glass, Weaver said.
Once the windows were extracted, they were transported to Jacksonville Stained Glass’ studio where the restoration work is taking place.
These set of windows are in the top 10 oldest that Weaver has worked on.
The process the windows are undergoing consists of a complete dismantle of the existing leaded glass matrix with all lead properly disposed of, each piece of glass hand-washed, broken pieces replaced or repaired, re-leading of the windows using restoration-quality lead, solder joints on both sides of panels, cement brushed in on both sides using cement formula, add support bars and re-installing the panel into its sash frame, according to Weaver.
“We have some unique glass inside those windows. We sent one off to get a sample and match with brand new glass,” he said.

Workers from Jacksonville Stained Glass carefully remove one of the windows from the First Presbyterian Church in Louisiana. The company transported the windows to its office in Illinois to go through a rigorous restoration process.