The Louisiana High track team will send three individuals to the state track meet after a first-place finish and two career-best performances at the sectional track meet at Principia High in St. Louis on Saturday, May 11.
Freshman Denise Blackwell came in first in the girls 300-meter low hurdles with a time of 48.57 seconds.
Her sister, junior Batrice Blackwell, had a career-best leap of 33 feet, 10 inches in the triple jump, which was good for fourth place.
Sophomore Brandon Holland had his career-best performance in the shot put with a heave of 46-3, which was good for fourth place.
The top four finishers in each event advanced to state.
Here are the other Louisiana athletes who competed at the meet:
• Junior Marshall Corbin just missed qualifying for state in the boys pole vault by clearing 10 feet and coming fifth place.
• Junior Zach Reever suffered a similar fate by coming in fifth in the 800 meters at 2:05.36, less than a second slower than the fourth-place finisher.
• Junior Tristan Castiglia came in sixth in the boys high jump at 5-8. He came in sixth in the triple jump as well by leaping 41.08.5.
• The boys 4×800 relay team of Reever, sophomores Tyler Francis, Cameron Lindsay and Elijah Oblinger came in sixth at 8:51.6.
• The boys 4×100 relay team of Castiglia, junior Traye Labby, sophomore Laken Labby and junior Daylon Greene came in eighth place at 46.71.
• Freshman Taylor Cunningham came in seventh in the girls triple jump at 31-8.75.
In team competition, the girls squad came in 11th place out of 28 squads. The boys came in 13th place in a 26-team field.
The state meet will be held at Lincoln University in Jefferson City on Friday and Saturday, May 17-18.