Early church dinners at Ramsey Creek Baptist Church often began with a pot of beans that simmered on the stove at the back of the church during the worship service.
A similar bean pot was on the buffet table when Pike County Historical Society enjoyed an old-fashion church basket dinner at Ramsey Creek on April 9.
The 6:30 p.m. meal featured fried chicken, potato salad, and a table of homemade pies and cake served in the fellowship hall of the church. Women of the church prepared and served the delicious meal.
President Trent Meyers welcomed 37 members and guests and the Rev. Randall Cone gave the invocation. Following the meal, the group moved into the sanctuary of the brick church which was completed in 1867.
After the reports from Secretary Marilyn Johnson and Treasurer Linda Harmon, Judy Schmidt said that the Louisiana Area Historical Museum would have its second Spring Fling luncheon on May 11 at Seton Hall with the program “Cooking with Marge.”
Tickets are available from Museum board members. There will be a series of six summer programs for children of all ages at the museum. Since the Louisiana Chamber of Commerce office has located there, the museum is more available to the public.
Sue Dienes said there would be additional pavers put in at the river front by Louisiana Historic Preservation and that some trees would be replaced.
The beautiful stained glass windows at the front of the church feature dogwood blossoms and were created and installed by Pat Bibb, who was present at the meeting. They were given in memory of Wanda Hooten.
Lynne Wood, a member of the church, presented a detailed history of the organization of the church by Stephen Ruddell from Kentucky.
In 1817 the first church was built of un-hewn logs on land given by Edmund Mountjoy and had port holes to watch for Indians.
Planning began for a new brick church in 1856 and it was completed in 1867, only to be damaged in 1887 when the north gable fell in taking down about one-third of the church.
Repairs were rapidly done and the church resumed services in 1888. Many improvements and additions followed and additional acreage was purchased. The longest service of a pastor was A. G. Mitchell from 1850-1883.
A second Sunday service was added in 1999 due to rapidly increasing attendance and as the church continues to grow, consideration may be given to building a new place of worship as the church nears its 200th anniversary.
Mission and outreach are important to the congregation and the Womens Missionary Union. The church has helped to form many other churches, supports colleges and orphanages.
They work in local mission, helping with flood relief, food pantry, Bible study, fellowship meals, and have an active choir and musicians. Also many church school programs and activities for youth.
There is a full-time minister and an associate with three services being provided. Historical Society Vice-President Paul Lewis told of being licensed as a pastor through Ramsey Creek Church and he has served at Frankford and Clarksville and currently is the pastor at New Harmony Baptist Church. He offered prayer at the close of the meeting.